SBF’s inaugural Future Economy Conference and Exhibition helps businesses transform and raises awareness of Industry Transformation Maps
- The event brings together policymakers, thought leaders and captains of industry to discuss business transformation.
- SBF and the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) sign a Memorandum of Intent to facilitate the SBF-led Digitalisation Issues Committee to surface key issues and drive digital transformation across the Singapore business community.
- Members of SBF’s Digitalisation Issues Committee are unveiled.
The Future Economy Conference and Exhibition was previously known as the Singapore Productivity Conference and Exhibition, organised annually by SBF from 2014, where it was the anchor event of the National Productivity Month.
Taking centre stage at the Future Economy Conference and Exhibition was transformation, with a special focus on the Industry Transformation Maps (ITMs). Unique to this conference was consultation clinics helmed by government agencies and TACs deeply involved in implementing ITMs. Through these consultation clinics, businesses learnt how they can become future-ready by understanding their industry’s transformation plan better, how they can transform and what support and assistance are available.
Mr SS Teo, SBF Chairman, said, “The inaugural Future Economy Conference and Exhibition was conceived to focus on transformation for companies and industries. It also illustrates the importance of collaboration between businesses, our workforce and the Government to enable that transformation. This will be particularly important as business issues become more multi-faceted and complex. SBF looks forward to working closely with the TACs and the Government in the implementation of ITMs, innovation and development of digital capabilities, which continue to pave the way for the future economy.”
Memorandum of Intent with IMDA and SBF
The Future Economy Conference and Exhibition also saw the signing of a Memorandum of Intent between SBF and IMDA. IMDA and SBF will collaborate to engage trade associations, business chambers and businesses to help enable digital adoption and transformation. The partnership will facilitate, identify and recommend programmes and initiatives to assist the SBF-led Digitalisation Issues Committee chaired by Ms Janet Ang, SBF Council Member and Vice President, Industry Solutions, IBM Asia Pacific, drive digital adoption and transformation across the Singapore business community.
Joining Ms Ang on the SBF-led Digitalisation Issues Committee are the following seven prominent members of the business community:
- Mr R. Dhinakaran, President, Singapore Retailers Association (SRA); and Managing Director, Jay Gee Melwani Group
- Mr Douglas Foo, President, Singapore Manufacturing Federation (SMF); and Chairman, Sakae Holdings Limited
- Ms Judy Hsu, Vice Chairman, The Association of Banks in Singapore (ABS); and CEO, Singapore and ASEAN Markets (Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand & Rep Offices), Standard Chartered Bank
- Mr Roland Ng, President, Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCCI); and Managing Director, Tat Hong Holdings Limited
- Mr Saw Ken Wye, Chairman, Singapore infocomm Technology Federation; and CEO, CrimsonLogic Pte Ltd
- Mr Shamir Rahim, President, Singapore Malay Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SMCCI); and Founder and CEO, VersaFleet
- Dr R Theyvendran, Chairman, Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SICCI); and Managing Director, Stamford Press Group of Companies
- Mr Kurt Wee, President, Association of Small and Medium Enterprises; and Director, Conrad and Ottess Private Asset Management Limited
Mr Tan Kiat How, CEO of IMDA, said “Strengthening digital capabilities of companies and workers is essential to Singapore’s transformation into a Future Economy. We are pleased to collaborate with SBF on strategic initiatives that enable broad-based digitalisation of industries and businesses so that they can seize opportunities offered by the digital future.”
Mr Ho Meng Kit, SBF CEO, said, “The Digitalisation Issues Committee is the first Issues Committee set up by SBF to deep-dive into business issues. It marks the first of many new initiatives that SBF, together with the Government, TACs and businesses, will collaborate on, following the announcement of SBF’s repositioning as a growth platform. SBF will continue facilitating the coming together of the business community to not only help itself, but also work with our Government to co-create solutions to enhance our country’s economic value and prosperity.”
The inaugural Future Economy Conference and Exhibition was organised by SBF in collaboration with five government agencies as strategic partners – Ministry of Trade and Industry, International Enterprise Singapore, IMDA, , SPRING Singapore and Workforce Singapore – and 24 TACs as supporting organisations.
Keynote Address by Minister for Finance and Chairman of the Future Economy Council Mr Heng Swee Keat
Welcome Address by SBF Chairman Mr SS Teo
Fact Sheet on the Memorandum of Intent between SBF and IMDA