Singapore, Wednesday, 2 December 2009 - The Singapore Business Federation organized a high level dialogue session between members of the Singapore business community and a visiting 26-member delegation from the Nippon Keidanren (Japan Federation of Economic Organisations) led by its Chairman, Mr. Fujio Mitarai on 2 December 2009 . The 19 Singapore business representatives were led by Singapore Business Federation (SBF) Chairman, Mr. Tony Chew, SBF CEO Mr. Teng Theng Dar, and several SBF Council Members and captains of various industries.
As the leading business and economic organization in Japan, Nippon Keidanren keenly promotes closer cooperation between the business communities in Asia as well as regional economic integration. Nippon Keidanren's action plan for sustained economic growth in Asia focuses on:
- promoting regional economic integration to facilitate economic activities
- ensuring stable medium and long term funding
- advancing broad regional infrastructure development
- enhancing "soft" infrastructure development
- boosting demand within Asia
- balancing environmental concerns and economic growth
- promoting reform of Japan's Official Development Assistance (ODA) and other official flows
The objective of this Economic Mission to Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam was to understand how countries in the region responded to the current global economic crisis, as well to explore ideas on achieving sustainable future growth in Asia. Nippon Keidanren firmly believes that it is paramount for Japan and the rest of Asia to develop close economic amongst themselves through the expansion of trade and investment as well as the promotion of technical and financial cooperation.
The dialogue session saw participants from both sides sharing insights on key economic and business topics as follows:
Mr. Mitarai briefly mentioned that the inauguration of the 'Asian Business Summit' will be held in Tokyo, Japan on 15 March 2010 and extended an invitation to SBF Chairman, Mr. Tony Chew to participate in the Summit. Mr. Chew accepted the invitation and congratulated Nippon Keidanren for taking the lead in this noteworthy initiative. Separately, Mr. Chew added that the SBF stands ready to render assistance when Japan hosts the APEC Leaders Summit in 2010.
- Mr. Yoji Ohashi; Vice Chairman, Nippon Keidanren & Chairman of All Nippon Airways; and Mr. Teng Theng Dar, SBF CEO, shared their views on the promotion of economic integration in Asia
- Mr. Terunobu Maeda; Vice Chairman, NK & Chairman of Mizuho Financial Group Inc spoke on "Regional financial demand and the role of financial sector"; whilst Mr. Jimmy Koh; Chief Economist, UOB,gave his take on the "Changing Asia Banking Landscape"..
- Mr. Mikio Sasaki; Vice Chairman, NK & Chairman of Mitsubishi Corporation talked about "Innovation Strategy in Singapore and Japan" while Mr. Lim Kok Kiang; International Director, Economic Development Board gave an overview of the "Strategies for Cleantech Industry in Singapore".
The delegation called on Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew, Senior Minister Goh Chok, Minister for Trade and Industry Mr. Lim Hng Kiang, as well as Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry after the morning meeting session at SBF.
For more information on GBD-Japan events, please contact:
Ms. Juliana Seah
Senior Executive, GBD China & North Asia
Singapore Business Federation
Tel: 6827 6897